Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rawkin' in the Free World

Well, it's apparently going to happen. Chinese Democracy, the long-awaited album from Guns n' Roses, is finally going to be released next month. But I actually don't believe it. I've heard rumors that this album was going to be released for about the last 8 years. So I'm not going to be convinced by a story in the New York Times. But that's just because I'm jaded and cynical, and I have no doubt that Axl will find some way to mess it all up again. (I have infinite faith in the ability of Axl Rose to sabotage himself and others.) But you can read the story and check it out for yourself.

Also, AC/DC has a new album out. There are big posters advertising it outside my apartment in Buenos Aires (yeah, I'm in B.A. now, and for the next four months--more on that later). At first when I glanced at it I just saw "AC/DC, Black Ice [the name of the new album], Never Disco." Never disco? Really? Umm, OK. But I think most people realize that AC/DC isn't a disco band. Plus, are they really fighting a war with a musical genre that, for all intents and purposes, has been defunct (de-funked?) for nearly 30 years? Talk about beating a dead horse.

But then I looked closer and realized that the poster actually said "Nuevo Disco," Spanish for "new album." Which of course makes a lot more sense than "Never Disco." This was the first of no doubt many misunderstandings here.

No comments: