Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What Do I Know?



















There's a discussion happening over at Wayne and Wax about Ne-Yo's song "Miss Independent." I didn't know the song before Wayne originally posted the video and his thoughts about it, so my contribution was limited to one dazzling, highly original thought: that the synth in "Miss Independent" reminded me quite a bit of the synth in Kanye West's "Flashing Lights." Sure, the timbre (the original topic of discussion) was very similar, but something else made the linkage in my enfeebled brain. They also use a very similar rhythm. Please allow me my first foray into index card analysis.

Above shows the basic rhythm of the synth in the two songs. The rythm in "Miss Independent" is just a kind of compression of the rhythm in "Flashing Lights." "Miss Independent" is only a 2-beat long pattern, while "Flashing Lights" is 4 beats long. So, "Miss Independent" just takes the first and last beats of "Flashing Lights." They're also very similar tempos--"Flashing Lights" is a couple of clicks faster, but they're both around 90 beats per minute, which means that they're essentially the same tempo in my head, when I'm not comparing them directly side by side with a metronome.

So anyway, that's my thought about that.

No comments: