Monday, November 16, 2009

Why I Love Rhapsody

It's because without Rhapsody, I never would have thought to seek out Cassandra Wilson's cover of "Harvest Moon" (originally by Mr. Neil Young), which appears on the My Blueberry Nights soundtrack (random) and, before that, on her 1996 album New Moon Daughter which had somehow slipped through my fingers. Young's original version of this song is one of my favorites, but I think I might even like Wilson's rendition better. I mean, I love the woozy pedal steel guitar that leads up to the end of each chorus in Young's version (and, oh, the chiming guitar harmonics that serve as a kind of hook). But it's amazing how much mileage Wilson's version gets out of just simple movements from scale degree 2 to scale degree 1 played by a bowed bass. Brilliant, I say.

No comments: