Saturday, December 31, 2011

Now That We Found Love

I had a dream last night that I was on a bus.  A black woman in her 30s was also on the bus, and she was railing against contemporary culture.  Politics, art, fashion, film, and (most importantly) music were all criticized for their shallowness, their violence and misogyny, their lack of aesthetic couth.  With a final rhetorical flourish, she addressed all of us riding on the bus, laying the blame on her fellow riders for all that was lacking in society:  "I love this city, but I hate its people!"  And with that, she got off the bus.  

The ghost of Heavy D (yes, really) suddenly appeared sitting to me right.  He tapped me on the shoulder, leaned over, and said:  "I don't know, man.  I love the music."  

End of dream.  

I have no idea what that means, but I think it's kind of telling that I remembered this dream, when I hardly ever remember any of my other dreams.  I'm not sure this dream has much insight into either the past year or the year to come; I seem to be suffering from a general lack of insight all around.  But I love the music, too.  See you in 2012. 


No comments: