Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Authenticity?



Apparently, today I'm supposed to be listening to the remastered Beatles albums and playing the new Beatles Rock Band game. Instead, I'm listening to the Beatles on vinyl. My versions of A Hard Day's Night, Something New, and Beatles VI were bought for 99 cents each at a record store on Bleecker Street in the Village, in a section called "Wreckords"--they were so cheap because they couldn't vouch for the condition of these, as opposed to the quite high prices they were commanding in the rest of the store for (apparently) pristine copies of Curtis Mayfield albums. And it's true that these records have a few scratches and a skip or two. But to my ears, they still sound pretty brilliant.

(My copy of Abbey Road I bought back in Fargo, and I stole my mom's copy of Sergeant Pepper. As always, thanks mom!)

No comments: