Thursday, August 7, 2008

I Won't Dance

Well, I didn't get to see Appetite for Destruction, a GN'R tribute band, tonight. In true GN'R fashion, the show was cancelled. That's almost too much, isn't it, when the tribute band takes verisimilitude so seriously that they start missing gigs, just like the original band. I wonder if they pick up addictions and court appearances, too.

I was curious to see how wild this band actually was, if the guitarist looked like Slash (or Buckethead, or neither, I guess). But it means that I didn't have to take the train to Glenside tonight, and that I get to watch the finale of
So You Think You Can Dance, a show that Catharine has been watching with something approaching fascination and that I've been watching with something that could safely be described as morbid fascination. Having mostly missed out on the last few years of American Idol, I've been very interested in the music that is played on the SYTYCD (this is the official acronym). Who among us does not like NASCAR, and who among us does not like a good Celine Dion power ballad from time to time?

And, while I clearly don't know anything about dance, the type of dancing that is featured on this show and labeled as "rumba" doesn't bear much resemblance to what my feeble ethnomusicological brain recognizes by that genre name. Oh well, maybe they know something I don't. Anyway, Catharine voted for Twitch. We'll see what happens.

No comments: