Friday, August 8, 2008

Unimpressive Fandom

I'm not one of those crazy Radiohead fans, although I did once take a Greyhound bus 12 hours, from my hometown of Fargo, ND to Chicago, to see a Radiohead concert. OK, so that might actually count. I wouldn't call myself a crazy fan of anything, really, because despite the fact that I might seem to the average person to be totally devoted to (for example) both Bob Dylan and Radiohead, these are artists who inspire far more than the modest amount of devotion I can give to them. I mean, OK, I paid money to download In Rainbows (despite the fact that it was free, and I bought it on vinyl when it came out, too), I've seen Bob Dylan concerts in four different states, and I once saw Radiohead two nights in a row at Madison Square Garden. But I'm merely an amateur compared to the people who follow Dylan on tour, collect every Radiohead b-side, subscribe to XM Radio so that they can hear Dylan's weekly "Theme Time Radio Hour," or hang out in Oxford supermarkets amongst the organic produce hoping to catch a glimpse of Thom Yorke. But that was a very long bus ride that I took. So that might earn me honorary membership in the club of Radiohead superfandom. I just hope the membership cards are cool.

Anyway, I'm seeing Radiohead next Tuesday night just across the river in Camden. I'll let you know how the show was.

No comments: