Saturday, December 6, 2008

If I Could Sue

Coldplay, which just got nominated for a bunch of Grammys (what is the proper plural of "Grammy," by the way?) also just got sued. Joe Satriani, he of guitar-shredding fame, alleges that Coldplay ripped off his song "If I Could Fly" on the title track of their latest album, Viva La Vida. Evidently this possible plagiarism/influence has been kicking around the web for a couple of months now. And of course, like anything, there's a youtube video illustrating the matter under discussion. You be the judge.



(I really like the stretched picture of Chris Martin in a turtleneck. That should be their next album cover.) And is if that isn't enough, a Brooklyn-based band called Creaky Boards also alleges that Coldplay ripped off the track "Viva La Vida" from them! I just hope that they don't end up getting sued by Satriani, too. Check out their video here.



I wrote a review of this Coldplay album when it came out, maybe I'll recycle it from my facebook profile if this case actually goes anywhere. I haven't had much of a chance to look at the Grammy nominations yet, but there may be a post or two on that soon, as well.

No comments: